Guidance & Counselling
The Guidance and Counselling Department of Colaiste Muire has two Guidance Counsellors, Ms. Niamh O' Regan and Sr. Teresa Browne, who work in collaboration with school management, subject teachers, learning support teachers and the EAL teacher
The involvement of parents and the wider community is recognised as an integral part of the guidance programme and is of enormous benefit to the student.
Our Guidance Plan encompasses the interlinked areas of personal and social development, educational and career guidance.
Visit our Online Guidance & Counselling Department
The Guidance and Counselling Department aims to
- Create a welcoming, positive and supportive environment where students are encouraged to reach their full potential.
- Provide a service that will enable each student to gain maximum benefit from the education system.
- Offer a range of learning experiences in a developmental sequence to assist students to make effective choices and decisions about their lives.
- Lay the foundation for lifelong career development including knowledge and competencies regarding self-awareness, the world of work, and making decisions and transitions.
Guidance and Counselling is available to all students throughout the year. Particular groups are prioritised to benefit from the service at various times of the year.
Guidance activities that assist students to make choices.
- 1st Year
transition to post-primary.
- Junior Cert
assistance in making educational choices and transition to senior cycle.
- Leaving Cert
assistance in making educational and career choices and transitions to further education and the world of work.
- 2nd Year
introduction to interest inventories / preference exercises and support to develop good study habits.
- 4th Year
those students pursuing T.Y, L.C.V, L.C.A and other 4th year students as the need arises.
- Students who are experiencing personal difficulties.
- Students at risk of leaving the formal education system.
- International students and students transferring from other post-primary schools.
- Counsellors are available to meet with individual students to explore personal or behavioural issues or receive educational advice.
- At the request of the student.
- When referred by a teacher, management or parent.
The voluntary participation of the student is always respected.
- Individual appointments are scheduled with all Leaving Cert students to discuss career options and choices. One class period (40 mins) is allocated to each Leaving Cert student in the first term.
- Individual appointments are scheduled with all Junior Cert students to discuss Senior Cycle options and subject choice. Twenty minutes is allocated to each student in the second term.
- Individual appointments are scheduled with all 1st year students to familiarise them with the role of the Guidance Counsellor and procedures for accessing help and to provide an opportunity for students to share significant information.
- The Guidance Counsellors are available to meet with parents / guardians on request.
- The Guidance Counsellors are available at each parent teacher meeting.