Transition Year Programme
Transition Year is a one year programme. It provides a bridge to enable students to make the transition from Junior to Senior cycle. It encourages personal and social development and recognizes the need for students to grow in independence.
Transition year fosters academic achievement as students prepare for a Leaving Certificate Programme, further study and adult and working life. It encourages the development of a wide range of transferable critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.
Irish, English, Maths, French/German, Japanese, I.T.,Business Studies, History, Geography, Careers, Chinese, Classical studies and Religion.
Students have the opportunity to sample each of the Science subjects, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Agricultural Science in 9 week blocks. Each of the Practical subjects, Technology, Home Economics, Music and Art are also sampled in 9 week blocks.
Additional Activities may include
- Driving Tuition
- Cardiac First Responders Course
- “On being an Archaeologist”
- Outdoor Pursuits- Horizon/Delphi
- School Bank, BOI Bond Trader Challenge
- Activities as part of Science Week, Engineers Week
- TYPE – Transition Year Physics Experience, TCD
- BEES – Biological, Earth and Environmental Science (TY Work Experience Programme)
- Biochemistry & Immunology TCD (TY Programme)
- Pathology Department Open Morning – Limerick Regional Hospital
- Radiography Open Afternoon – Limerick Regional Hospital
- TYNDALL lecture, UL (Physics)
- STEPS: ‘Engineering your Future’ – TY Programme
- Prep for Med Programme UCC
- Law Education for Schools – including Visit to Criminal Courts of Justice / Mock Trial
- Lyric FM Educational Outreach Programme
- Visit to National Ploughing Championships, Kilmainham Gaol, Irish Aid Centre.
- Mini Company
- Industry Visit –LM Ericsson.
- NUI Galway Arts Taster Day
- Geographic Investigation Burren
- Third Level College Open Days (NUIG /UCC / UCD / TCD/ UL/Mary I)
- TY Drama Festival
- ECO- UNESCO Young Environmentalist Awards
- Young Social Innovators (YSI)
- Transition Year Girls Spikeball Leaders Programme
- CAST film festival
- Pope John Paul II awards
- Junior Conference (St. Vincent de Paul)
- Community Work (1 week ) & Work Placement (1 week)