Transition Year classes comprise an equal amount of students from each of our third year classes 3A – 3F. Normally a limit of 24 students per class applies.
Students are offered a place on our TY programme following the satisfactory completion of a detailed application form.
The fee for TY is €500. A deposit of €100 is paid when a student accepts a place on the programme in May. The remaining €400 is payable when the student returns to school in September. The fee covers activities such as Horizon, Ploughing Championships, Law Education for Schools, Cardiac First Responders, Songschool, Driving tuition, Geography fieldwork, YSI fee, Drama fee….
We believe the programme enables students to mature, to develop confidence, to become independent thinkers, to make informed subject choices and to gain a valuable insight into broad variety of career areas.
Students make new friends, they develop a range of transferable skills and they achieve certification in various areas such as ECDL, CFR and YSI. They gain valuable insights into the world of work when undertaking Work Placement. TY students tend to have quite an impressive CV to submit in their Portfolio in May.
On the contrary, teachers notice greater maturity and application among those who have completed the TY option. Our past TY students consistently rank among our high achievers when Leaving Cert results are issued each August.
Volunteer! Participate! Get involved! Set some personal challenges! Use your initiative! Take responsibility! Be positive!
- ECDL is the European Computer Driving Licence. It is an International Certificate in Computers – recognised by most European Countries. The new Syllabus (Version 6) was introduced in 2013 .There are 11 modules in total and students get a Skills card for life.
- In Coláiste Muire students who sign up for ECDL aim to do 7 modules during the year. (Word Processing, Computer Essentials, Presentation, Online Essentials,
- Spreadsheets, Online Collaboration, IT Security.)
- The Skills card, 3 exams plus practice exam costs €50. Each additional modules costs €10 per exam. The school subsidises each skills card by €40 and subsidises exams by €20.
- Students must register in advance for exams. Exam takes place in room 12. ECDL operates on a Pass/Fail basis. The pass mark is 75% and the result is available immediately. A student can resit an exam as often as she likes. Each exam is €10.
- Access Reports Via VS Ware
- Junior Cycle
- Transition Year Programme
- Senior Cycle
- Learning Support