National Gallery of Ireland
National Gallery of Ireland Work Placement
The National Gallery of Ireland run an exciting work experience programme for Transition Year students. You will go behind the scenes at the Gallery and learn about the work of different departments including Education, Conservation, Curatorial and Visitor Experience. Working as a team you will develop a Live Project to create an event or digital resources for young people that will run at the Gallery.
The placement suits students who are interested in art and may be considering studying it for Leaving Cert. You must be willing to work with students from other schools and be comfortable in a team environment. Most importantly, they are looking for students who want to learn something from their placement at the Gallery and benefit from a new experience.
Key dates and information
In 2022-23 there are three placements:
- Monday 5 – Friday 9 December 2022 (onsite) – event Sat 21 January 2023
- Monday 20 – Friday 24 March 2023 (onsite) – event Sat 20 May 2023
- 17 April – 19 May 2023 (5-week digital programme)
- TY placements at the Gallery are very popular and places are extremely limited.
- They are unable to facilitate placements outside of these dates.
- Applications for onsite and virtual placements open 1 September – 14 October
- Due to the exceptionally high volume of applications we receive, we will use a ballot system to select applicants
- This will be weighted to ensure an even gender balance
- At least 50% of students selected will be from DEIS schools
Isabella Danaher and Eilís Strand TY2 were both accepted on to this programme from our school for 2023.